Posted on September 10 2015
The right earrings can add that finishing touch to any style or look. Those who know how to select a pair that complements with their face shape will stand out from the crowd and let these pieces accentuate their style. If you want to know which types would go perfectly with your face shape then this post is for you. We’ll include valuable pieces of information that will help guide your decision making when it comes to shopping for earrings.
When shopping for jewelry accessories such as earrings it is important to keep a few reminders in mind. Understanding the basics does help a lot so you don’t end up bringing home a pair you regret having bought. Aside from getting your money’s worth, choosing the right earrings for your face shape makes sure that they will be worn and not just gather dust in a jewelry box. Fine jewelry and fashion jewelry are both sold online and in stores and they come in a wide array of styles, which makes it all the more difficult to shop for the right one.
When buying earrings the shop owner will usually describe the style and the materials used during production. When you have a specific style and design in mind, it makes shopping relatively easier because it helps narrow down your options. Below is a list of descriptions of the most popular earring styles available in the market today.
- Teardrop Earrings – As the name implies, these earrings are shaped exactly like a teardrop or often times are described as a dewdrop. This particular style of earrings is mostly made from silver, gemstones or solid gold. These earrings are designed to hang down the earlobe. There are several teardrop shaped earrings that offer a wide extensive surface ornament; these earrings are often sold as dangling earrings.
- Dangle Earrings – The dangle types of earrings are those that freely dangle right below the earlobe. These earrings may consist of squares, beads, curved metals or rounds. If you go to a store and ask for dangle earrings you’ll be presented with two different sizes, the narrow ones and the wide ones. It is also important to take note of the width of the earring because differences in width can affect how the earrings will look on different face shapes.
- Stud Earrings – The basic type of earrings are the studs. This consists of a single ball, stone or bead design that is inserted directly into the earlobe. It doesn’t hang nor does it dangle. Studs sit atop the earlobe. An example of such type is a pair of pearl earrings and is often called stud earrings. These earrings blend well with all face types.
- Chandelier Earrings – the chandelier type of earrings is composed of a unique combination of drop and stud wherein a portion of the earrings has a stud that sits directly on the lobe while the other half dangles below the lobe. Majority of these earrings that hang below the earlobe are wide and then slowly peters out to a tiny point.
- Hoop Earrings – another type of earring which has gained immense popularity are the hoops. Hoops earrings are mostly made from flat scraps of metal that circles the earlobe running from the front to the back. These earrings come in various shapes and sizes.
- Huggy Earrings – Huggy earrings are similar to the hoops, the only obvious difference between the two is the size. Huggies are generally smaller compared to the larger and wider hoops. These earrings consist of a wide yet small hoop that fastens securely into the ear using a clasp or a post. Both can be made out of metal or plastic but jewelers prefer huggy earrings since they are so versatile in the type of settings that could be used.
- Cluster Earrings – cluster earrings are more like the studs only that it features a cluster of rhinestones, gemstones and other ornamental elements that can make the earring look more attractive. The ornaments can extend downwards beyond the earlobe. These earrings are very loud and you can use these to elegant events to draw some attention. It is best paired with long gowns.
In the fashion world human faces are described based on skin tone and shape. While there are those who purchase earrings because it looks good on with skin tone, fashion experts are saying otherwise. Although skin tone does matter somehow, experts assert that looking at the general shape of the face is what matters the most when selecting earrings. Below are some of the most common face shapes together with their descriptions.
- Oval – These faces have foreheads that share more or less the same width as their cheekbones. Their faces are generally narrowed down from the cheeks up to the chin. This narrowing of width that runs from the center of the face to the bottom is responsible for the oval shape.
- Round – Round faces are often referred to as having circular faces. Their widest parts are on both cheekbones. The difference between the round-shaped and the oval-shaped face is that in the round shape the width of the cheekbones does not narrow.
- Heart Shaped – In this type of face shape the person has a wide forehead probably even wider than the cheeks. And the cheeks down to the chin taper down in width until it narrows forming the shape of a heart.
- Square – The forehead, the cheeks and the jaws of a person who has a square-shaped face share the same width. These people typically have very defined jaw lines.
- Narrow – Narrow-shaped faces are often referred to as rectangular faces. This face shape is in some ways similar to a square only that it is elongated.
- Diamond – The chin and forehead of a diamond-shaped faces are narrower in size compared to the cheekbones. Those who have diamond-shaped faces have very prominent cheekbones.
How do you choose the right earrings ideal for your face shape?
Those who possess basic knowledge on earring styles and design and are aware of their face shape are less-fussed when shopping for earrings because they already know what to look for. Below are face shapes and their corresponding earring types to give your overall look a boost.
Earrings for Oval-Shaped Faces
People who are oval-shaped look amazing on almost all styles of earrings. But you can look strikingly more appealing if you don a pair of oval-shaped earrings that are the dangling type. This type of earrings emphasizes the beautiful and unique shape of your face without making it look long or wide. Those who have this face shape also look amazingly stunning if they wear the teardrop type of earrings. Just as the dangling puts the spotlight on your face, the teardrop also highlights your face’s shape as it creates a sense of balance.
Earrings for Round-Shaped Faces
The goal of those who have round-shaped faces is to make their face look a bit longer and they can do this by going for dangle earrings and teardrop earrings. However, choose those earrings that have angular designs instead of the rounded designs. Those with round faces should not be shopping for dangling disc earrings because it will make their face look wider. When choosing for size, round-faced individuals should go for narrower earrings. It is worth noting that the rounder the design you choose the bigger your face is going to look.
Earrings for Heart-Shaped Faces
People who are blessed with heart-shaped faces should be shopping for pieces that have long curves and lines. Doing so helps offset the width of your face and it will draw the attention to your faces characteristic features such as the cheekbones, jaw line and eyes. Those who have heart-shaped faces look best with chandelier earrings, teardrops and dangles.
Earrings for Square-Shaped Faces
Those who have square faces should shop for earrings that are rounded in design. This is because round designs draw the attention from your strong jaw line and protruding cheekbones. Your choices should revolved around hoop earrings and dangling earrings. Bold individuals who want to take the extra mile can go for oversized hoops that extend beyond the jaw. These hoops give you the impression of a smaller face. People who have square-shaped faces should by all means avoid earrings that are wide because it makes their faces look bigger.
Earrings for Narrow-Shaped Faces
Narrow-shaped faces look their best with pearl earrings because it diminishes the length of their elongated faces. Their shape also looks good on clustered earrings that dangle below the lobe. Always remember that dangling earrings help minimize the length of narrow faces. When shopping for dangle earrings ask for those that have elongated curves to emphasize your cheekbones.
Earrings for Diamond-Shaped Faces
People who have diamond-shaped faces should shop for earrings that have long curves. They should look for hoop and dangle earrings as it underscores their facial features. Don’t choose angular earrings instead go for those that have soft curve designs to soften the sharpness in your jaw line and cheekbones. Those who have this type of face shape should avoid wearing earrings that take on the shape of a diamond simply because it does not look flattering.
Earrings come in different price tags. Some are cheap while others can be ridiculously expensive and yet even if a pair can cost a whole house this didn’t stop people from shopping for more. When buying for earrings you have to make sure that you are getting the right pair. Just because an earring looks amazing doesn’t necessarily mean it will look good on your face once you wear them. Experts always advise to try the earrings on before you purchase them so you can see how it looks on you. While purchasing earrings depend largely on your personal taste, individuals who want to make the most out of their purchase should choose the style that will complement their face shape. As explained in this blog doing so actually highlights your facial features bringing out your natural beauty. You see, earrings can do more than make you feel good on the inside it also makes you look good on the outside. And not only look mediocre good, it can make you look extraordinarily beautiful all because of a piece of jewelry.
A lot of people spend tons of money over earrings only to end up dumping them in piles at the deepest recesses of their jewelry rack all because they realize that those earrings don’t look good on them. Well, now that you’ve read our post we’re pretty sure you’ll know exactly what to look for the next time you go out on an accessory shopping spree. Come check out our earrings collection and see what Niv’s Bling has to offer!